Buying Marijuana Seeds in United States 2022
Laws on Buying & Growing Marijuana Seeds in the United States. Growing Tips, Recommended Strains, and the Best Seed Banks That Ship to the United States For the 2022 Growing Season.
In recent years, the United States has seen its cannabis laws change rapidly. While the election outcome in November 2016 has kept federal cannabis laws from changing, individual states have taken up the push for reform, changing their laws to allow legal medical – and in many cases, recreational cannabis. A change of cannabis laws at the federal level in Canada will likely put pressure on the US to legalize as a country, but until then, all of the action is happening at the state level. Here’s all you need to know about using and possessing marijuana, as well as growing or buying cannabis seeds in the United States.
In a Nutshell — Which U.S. States Allow Americans to Buy and Grow Cannabis Seeds from Seed Banks?
As you travel throughout the United States, you’ll find that different states have different laws pertaining to recreational or medical marijuana — especially in seed form.
In some states, both recreational and medical marijuana are legal, while others only allow people to possess pot and buy cannabis seeds from seed banks for the purpose of cultivation if they have a prescription from a doctor.
While the specific laws are different in each state, let’s break down which states allow cannabis cultivators to buy and grow cannabis seeds.
You’ll be surprised by how many states allow home cultivators to buy and grow weed seeds from local or online seed banks for medical or recreational purposes!
As of 2022, Recreational and Medical Marijuana Is Legal In:
- Alaska (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Alaska)
- California (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in California)
- Colorado (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Colorado)
- Connecticut (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Connecticut)
- Maine (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Maine)
- Michigan (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Michigan)
- Massachusetts (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Massachusetts)
- Nevada (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Nevada)
- New Mexico (Recreational weed is legal starting June 2021.) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New Mexico)
- New York (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New York)
- Oregon (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Oregon)
- Vermont (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Vermont)
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Guam (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Guam)
- Washington (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Washington)
- The District of Columbia (or Washington D.C.) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Washington DC)
- Arizona (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Arizona)
- Illinois (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Illinois)
- Montana (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Montana)
- New Jersey (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New Jersey)
States That Have Legalized Medical, but Not Recreational, Marijuana Are:
- Alabama (Alabama just passed medical cannabis, but the law has yet to go into effect) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Alabama)
- Arkansas (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Arkansas)
- Delaware (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Delaware)
- Florida (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Florida)
- Georgia (Georgia doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Georgia)
- Hawaii (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Hawaii)
- Indiana (Indiana’s medical cannabis program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Indiana)
- Iowa (Iow’s medical cannabis program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Iowa)
- Kentucky (Kentucky doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Kentucky)
- Louisiana (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Louisiana)
- Maryland (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Maryland)
- Minnesota (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Minnesota)
- Missouri (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Missouri)
- New Hampshire (recreational weed, in quantities up to ¾ oz, has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in New Hampshire)
- North Carolina (North Carolina doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in North Carolina)
- North Dakota (recreational weed has been decriminalized, in quantities under .5 oz, but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in North Dakota)
- Ohio (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Ohio)
- Oklahoma (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Oklahoma)
- Pennsylvania (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Pennsylvania)
- Puerto Rico (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Puerto Rico)
- Rhode Island (recreational weed has been decriminalized but is still illegal) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Rhode Island)
- South Carolina (South Carolina doesn’t have medical marijuana but does allow access to low-THC CBD products) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in South Carolina)
- South Dakota (medical marijuana program begins July 2021) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in South Dakota)
- Tennessee (Tennessee is still extremely restrictive, the medical marijuana program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Tennessee)
- Texas (Texas is still extremely restrictive, the medical marijuana program only includes access to low-THC products like CBD oil) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Texas)
- United States Virgin Islands (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in the United States Virgin Islands)
- Utah (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Utah)
- Virginia (recreational weed will be legal beginning July 1, 2021) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Virginia)
- West Virginia (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in West Virginia)
States That Have Complete Marijuana Prohibition Are:
- Idaho (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Idaho)
- Kansas (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Kansas)
- Mississippi (Only medical CBD oil is allowed) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Mississippi)
- Nebraska (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Nebraska)
- Wisconsin (Only medical CBD oil is allowed) (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Wisconsin)
- Wyoming (Guide: Buy Cannabis Seeds in Wyoming)
However, it’s crucial to note that cannabis in all forms is illegal at the federal level.
Now that you have a clear picture of the legal framework of which states in the USA allow medical or recreational marijuana — continue reading to learn everything there is to know about buying and growing cannabis seeds in the US, such as:
- The best cannabis seeds to buy in the United States
- A curated list of grow tips
- Our recommended list of top-rated seed banks that ship to the USA
- The laws throughout the US that govern buying and growing marijuana seeds from seed banks
Are you ready to buy cannabis seeds with ease from online seed banks for the 2022 growing season? If so — scroll down and continue reading!
Girl Scout Cookies
Growing Cannabis Seeds in The United States
If you live in a cannabis-friendly state and you’re ready to test out your green thumb — it’s time to buy marijuana seeds from a seed bank and get growing!
However, there are a few obstacles that you must consider, such as:
- Which cannabis seeds are best for your specific climate?
- Which marijuana seed strains are the best overall to grow in the US?
Continue reading to find out which cannabis seed strains rank high on our list, along with professional growing tips that’ll transform your 2022 growing season into a bumper-crop year.
When to Sprout Cannabis Seeds in The United States
Once your prized cannabis seeds arrive from a seed bank — it’s time to determine when to germinate them.
Remember — the United States is big. In other words, there are many different climate zones, with each exhibiting unique obstacles to the grower.
However, here’s the general timeline of when to sprout your new weed seeds:
- March-April (warmer climate zones, such as California)
- April-May (cooler climate zones, such as Minnesota)
Ultimately, once the threat of frost passes — it’s time to plop your weed seeds in the ground and wait for them to poke out their heads. As long as you buy marijuana seeds from a reputable seed bank — you’re sure to experience a high germination rate.
Issues to Consider When Growing Marijuana Seeds in The United States
As with the previous section, each state’s climate is a major limiting factor to which marijuana seed strains you can grow.
Tips for Growing Cannabis Seeds in the USA
Now, let’s discuss a few tips for growing marijuana seeds in the United States.
Buy Cannabis Seeds from a Reputable Online or Local Seed Bank in the US
The most important tip that we can recommend is always to buy marijuana seeds from a reputable seed bank.
By buying marijuana seeds from highly-ranked seed banks, you’ll ensure:
- High germination rate
- Vigorous plants
- Sky-high yields
- Verified seed strains
Buy Cannabis Seeds for The State’s Climate
In warmer regions, such as California, intense heat waves occur in the summer, which can scorch your crop. Alternatively, colder regions, such as Maine, experience long winters and short summers.
Unless you grow your marijuana seed strains indoors, you must choose cannabis seed strains that offer adequate flowering times. The primary reason is that you don’t want to grow a long flowering strain in a region that exhibits a short summer, or vice versa.
Luckily, our recommended seed banks display flowering times on seed descriptions, so you know what to expect!
Plan Your Cannabis Garden In Advance
Last but not least is always to plan your marijuana garden.
It’s helpful to write what you need to do and then check off each part of the list as you complete them. Here’s a mock-up of a list that’ll help you ensure a heavy yielding cannabis garden:
- Determine your climate
- Choose the best cannabis seed strain for your climate
- Buy the marijuana seeds from a reputable seed bank
- Plan your garden
- Get growing!
Which Marijuana Seed Store Is the Best Option for US Residents?
Ok, now we’re getting to the fun part!
Although cannabis seeds are illegal under federal law — they are legal in most states that allow medical or recreational marijuana. However, if you live in a draconian state that doesn’t allow either — it’s easy to find a seed store that ships to any state in the USA.
As a US resident (depending on where you live), you have the choice of buying cannabis seeds from a local seed store or online seed bank. Let’s take a look at your two options and which is the best route.
Local American Seed Stores
If you wish to support a local seed store in the United States, this option may appeal to you.
Brands such as Greenwolf, Los Angeles Farmers, and many other storefront dispensaries in the US offer marijuana seeds. However, many of the cannabis seeds on offer are expensive and may not be verified.
Once again, if you absolutely want to buy marijuana seeds from a local seed shop — most recreational and medical states allow it. You may, however, be disappointed by the seed selection.
Online Seed Banks That Ship to The United States
If you’re looking for deals, immense selection, and top-shelf seed strains — look no further than buying weed seeds from online seed banks that ship to all states in the USA.
From stealth-shipping to ultra-fast shipping speeds — here are our top two seed banks that ship marijuana seeds to the United States.
– The quality of cannabis seeds that you can purchase from MSNL seed bank makes it one of the best around when buying marijuana seeds in the United States. Based in London, United Kingdom, marijuana-seeds.nl is known for reliably delivering juicy strains at low prices. MSNL accepts Bitcoin (including other cryptocurrencies), debit/credit cards, bank transfers, cash, and money orders. – A reputable breeder and seed store, discreetly ships to the United States. They deliver when they say they will do so and provide supreme-quality cannabis seeds, including shipping and germination guarantees. There are several ways to pay, from cash, credit cards, Bitcoin, or bank transfer — you name it!
Marijuana-Seeds.NL – High Quality Genetics. Shipping Worldwide.
Recommended Cannabis Seed Strains to Buy from Online Seed Banks and Grow in The United States
When you want to grow the best weed imaginable — buy these three top-shelf seed strains from a reputable seed bank for mind-blowing results.
Girl Scout Cookies
Girl Scout Cookies
When it comes to American weed — nothing is as red, white, and blue as the Girl Scout Cookies seed strain.
From ease-of-growth to dense nugs covered in frost, you’ll never get tired of this indica-dominant beauty. Furthermore, the Girl Scout Cookies seed strain offers an 8-week flowering time, making it perfect for all United States regions.
Super Silver Haze
Super Silver Haze
If you want an energetic blitz with award-winning characteristics to back it up — look no further than the Super Silver Haze seed strain.
Although Super Silver Haze grows tall — it can be tamed indoors or outdoors with a few training techniques. At 9-10-weeks, the Super Silver Haze seed strain is one of the fastest flowering sativa-dominant hybrids around.
Known for its hands-off growth, you’ll enjoy these tropically potent buds anywhere in the USA come harvest time.
The Wedding Cake seed strain is a match made in heaven.
With enough THC content that’ll make your head spin, you’ll be saying “I do” before you know what’s happening. Growers that buy Wedding Cake seeds from reputable seed banks will find a rapid flowering beauty that generates a lot of gorgeous weed for an indica-dominant variety.
In other words, the Wedding Cake seed strain is easy to grow and perfect for nearly any climate zone in the US. It simply doesn’t get better than this!
Remember, you can find these three cannabis seed strains at our recommended seed banks in feminized form.
The Smorgasbord of Medical and Recreational Cannabis Laws in The United States
Before we begin this section, here’s the TLDR version of the essential facts regarding cannabis laws in the united states:
- Cannabis (in all forms) is illegal at the federal level
- Individual states may enact laws that legalize medical or recreational cannabis laws
- Each individual state’s cannabis regulations may differ from one to the other
Laws vary from state to state in terms of how much weed you can possess, what forms of cannabis you can legally buy, who can qualify to purchase it for medical purposes, and how many plants you can grow, should you buy cannabis seeds from a seed bank in the United States.
Examples of What to Expect When Buying Cannabis Seeds from Seed Stores from State to State
For example, in Alaska, you’re allowed to possess up to an ounce of weed and buy cannabis seeds from seed banks. Meanwhile, in Oregon, while you can only carry an ounce while in public, you can have up to eight ounces stashed at home and any number of un-germinated seeds from a seed bank.
Traveling from State to State with Cannabis Seeds
Should you travel from state to state within the United States, check to determine what the individual laws are where you’ll be staying. In states with legal weed, it’s legal to drive around with cannabis seeds that you’ve purchased from a local or online seed bank as long as they’re in their original packaging.
What You Should Never Do While Traveling with Cannabis Seeds or Flowers
It is never legal to drive while under the influence of marijuana. If you do and get caught, you’re going to have a bad time.
It’s also illegal to take marijuana flowers or cannabis seeds over state lines (even into another weed-friendly state). As individual state laws are undergoing a lot of changes where cannabis is concerned, do a bit of reading on the specifics of wherever you’re planning to travel to see if there have been any updates before you go.
Cannabis Products and Cannabis Seeds Are Always Illegal at the Federal Level — for Now
However, it’s important to remember that any individual state law may change; federal cannabis policy in the U.S. remains unaffected for the time being. Under the Federal Controlled Substances Act of 1970, marijuana was classified as a Schedule I drug, placing it among harder drugs such as cocaine and heroin. With the enactment of the 2018 Farm Bill, hemp and products derived from it were no longer classified as Schedule I substances.
James M. Cole, the Deputy Attorney General under former U.S. President Barack Obama, issued a memorandum in 2013 stating that the Justice Department would not focus on enforcement in states that had “legalized marijuana in some form…” This took some of the pressure off of dispensaries (and their clientele) in states with legal cannabis. In 2018, Attorney General Jeff Sessions (who was appointed by President Donald Trump) rescinded the memo, creating an uproar in the cannabis community. Fortunately, the Trump Justice Department did not take action to enforce federal cannabis laws, allowing the cannabis industry to continue operating in states that had legalized it.
Buying & Growing Cannabis Seeds Recreationally: Differences Within the USA
Depending on where you go in the United States, you will find different laws on weed cultivation and buying cannabis seeds from seed banks in 2022. At the federal level, buying cannabis seeds is illegal. It’s also illegal to buy them if you live in a state where possessing and growing your own weed isn’t legal.
In states with legalized cannabis, just as with possessing and using weed, laws governing growing and buying cannabis seeds differ from state to state. Under D.C. law, for example, an adult (21 years and older) can cultivate up to six marijuana plants (with a maximum of twelve plants to a household) in one location for recreational purposes. Only three plants per person may be mature at one time. Also, you can transfer up to one ounce of weed as an adult to another adult, but marijuana sales are still illegal there. So gift away if you live in D.C., but don’t allow any money to change hands!
Meanwhile, in Oregon, you can only grow up to four plants from seed for recreational reasons. Also, to cultivate at home, you must pay fees, and the marijuana odor must be controlled in a manner as such that the public does not notice it. Selling cannabis without a license is forbidden there, as is the case in most states with legalized pot.
In Alaska, personal cannabis cultivation from seed is restricted to six plants, but only three of them can be flowering at one time. Transfer limits are one ounce, which is the same as in D.C. As you can see, it’s important to know before you grow!
Legal Analysis: Buying Medical Marijuana Seeds in The US from Seed Banks in 2022
For patients, knowing medical marijuana seed laws is important so that you stay compliant. Possession limits vary by state, so be sure to research laws in your current location in 2022 to understand how many cannabis seeds to buy from a local or online seed bank.
Here are a few examples:
In New Jersey, where the law governing medical cannabis was passed in 2010, patients can legally germinate up to six cannabis seeds and possess three ounces of usable weed for medicinal use in any given 30 day period.
However, go to Montana, and you can germinate four cannabis seeds and possess five ounces total in a month. The limits are different, yet again, in Delaware; the legal possession limit for medical marijuana patients is six usable ounces. The laws differ still in New Hampshire, where you can possess only two ounces of usable marijuana for medical purposes for ten days.
In other US states, you can legally possess a certain number of plants for medical use; though be aware that not all states allow for the home-growing from cannabis seeds. In New Mexico, you can legally have up to 16 plants, with up to four of them being mature at one time. Go to Vermont, though, and you will see this number cut down to six, with only two flowering at one time.
These examples show that you need to be aware of the legal limits regarding growing cannabis seeds in the state where you reside, to ensure you stay on the right side of the law. Moving between states means you must be cognizant of the local laws and recognize that laws can change quickly.
Can You Legally Buy Cannabis Seeds Online?
A substantial number of states allow medical marijuana, along with a growing number of places that have legalized recreational cannabis. The public is becoming more aware of the potential benefits of marijuana. People also realize that the damaging side effects of cannabis are often overstated, although some are real. Nonetheless, there is a softening in the stance towards the plant, which is even apparent on a political level.
As well as allowing people to use weed, an increasing number of states are relaxing restrictions on growing it at home.
You’ll need seeds to do so, but this is where it gets complicated for American residents in particular. Even if you live in California, where it is legal to grow cannabis at home, and purchase seeds from a Colorado-based seed bank, your package can STILL be confiscated.
Indeed, you could get in more trouble buying seeds from within the US than from an overseas country! This is the reason why most reputable seed banks that you hear about are located in Europe! This article delves deeper into the legality surrounding the purchase of cannabis seeds in the United States and offers tips to ensure you buy a high-quality product.
Marijuana Seeds Law
Cannabis remains a federally illegal substance in the United States. The plant’s seeds are also classified as cannabis, just like concentrate, flower, or edibles. As cannabis seeds are legal in certain states, seed banks operate within America’s borders. However, most of the best-known sellers operate in Canada or Europe. Let’s find out who can purchase seeds in the United States.
Is It Legal to Buy Cannabis Seeds Online in Any State?
As the nation’s cannabis laws state that the substance is federally illegal, it is technically against the law to buy, sell, or use it anywhere in the country. Indeed, the federal government could arrest someone for consuming cannabis if they so choose because federal law supersedes state law.
However, a majority of states allow medical marijuana, and a growing number permit adult-use cannabis. At present, the United States government has shown no indication that it wishes to interfere with a state’s right to legalize marijuana.
The current situation means you can legally get a cannabis seed from a dispensary in states where recreational cannabis is legal. In medical marijuana states, you’ll need to produce an MMJ card. Otherwise, you’re not allowed to purchase cannabis seeds.
Things are different online. It is illegal to transport cannabis seeds across state lines regardless of whether the plant is legal in both states. Therefore, you can only buy the seeds online if the seller is located within your state, and it is a location where adult-use marijuana is allowed.
Of course, you can take the risk of having your seeds confiscated by trying to order online anyway.
Is There Any Reputable American Seed Bank?
Although the United States is one of the world’s most progressive countries in marijuana legalization, the plant remains federally illegal. As long as this remains the case, users face all manner of complications. Ultimately, purchasing marijuana seeds online is only possible if you live in one of a select few states.
If you are concerned about legal issues, we recommend purchasing your seeds directly from a dispensary rather than buying them online. However, residents of Colorado should have no difficulties in theory. Stores such as The Farm and The Green Solution regularly advertise their online seed options. It should be a quick and easy process to buy them online if you are a resident of Colorado.
Elsewhere, it can be a matter of pot luck (pun intended). First and foremost, we can only recommend online seed purchases if you live in a state where growing marijuana at home is legal. If your package gets intercepted, you could face legal consequences, although this unfortunate situation is relatively rare.
You need a reputable seed bank capable of shipping to numerous states that understands the need for discretion. Such companies know how to package their goods to evade detection. If the seeds are confiscated, the firm will either send a new package for free or refund your money.
Which American Seeds Banks Are the Best?
California-based I Love Growing Marijuana (ILGM) is one of the most trustworthy seed sellers we have found in the United States. The website and store are run by Robert Bergman, who is an expert marijuana cultivator. He offers dozens of options and provides FREE shipping to customers in the United States and Europe.
Rocket Seeds is another American seed bank with a positive reputation. It operates out of the Bronx, New York, and is famed for its rapid shipping.
There are numerous Canadian seed banks known for selling excellent products. Noteworthy brands include Crop Seed Kings, MJSeeds, and Beaver Seeds.
Certain online marijuana seed sellers in the United States try to use subterfuge to ensure their customers receive the seeds.
It is possible to buy seeds from stores only if they are ‘used’ as luxury bird food or fishing bait additives.
In February 2015, one month after cannabis legalization went into effect in Washington D.C., the D.C. Cannabis Campaign organized a ‘seed sharing’ event in the country’s capital. As part of the new law, anyone aged 21+ who attended the event was legally allowed to receive an ounce of seeds. Unfortunately, the laws surrounding purchasing marijuana seeds online in the US have remained as clear as mud in the years since.
European Marijuana Seed Banks
Many of the American seed banks that offer marijuana seeds source them from a seed bank in a European country. When we bemoan the issues that cause federal and state laws to become unclear and confusing, it is important to remember that the US is effectively a continent with 50 different states and additional territories.
Europe is also a continent, and it also has more than 50 countries. The laws surrounding marijuana seeds vary according to each nation but become less confusing because they are separate states. That’s not to say that things don’t become complex!
In principle, cannabis seeds are not illegal in Europe, and it is possible to purchase seeds from another country. In general, when a product enters a European country, it becomes subject to that nation’s laws. The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, a 1962 framework for marijuana legalization, is an international treaty that was signed by 180 countries.
In the treaty, marijuana is classed as an illegal substance, but marijuana seeds are not illegal. As international law takes precedence over a country’s own laws, cannabis seeds are technically legal in all 180 countries. Alas, it isn’t as easy as that, and it is much safer to purchase seeds from one European country than another. Here’s a look at marijuana seed laws in a few major European nations:
- Germany: As seeds don’t fall under the German Narcotics Act, they are technically legal to purchase. However, Germany has prohibited the sale of cannabis seeds across the nation, the only EU member state to have done so. As Germany is subject to the EU’s free movement of goods, having seeds sent to Germany is fine.
- United Kingdom: At present, the UK allows for the purchase, sale, or trade of cannabis seeds whether you purchase them domestically or from another European nation. American buyers tend to use UK sellers such as Seedsman, who have been selling seeds globally since 2003. However, we’re not sure what will happen once the UK has left the EU. By the way, UK residents are not allowed to germinate cannabis seeds.
- Netherlands: It is shocking to learn that despite the nation’s relaxed attitude towards marijuana, it is still illegal! However, you should have no issue purchasing cannabis seeds from a Dutch-based seed company. Companies such as Nirvana, MSNL Seeds, and Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds also enjoy good reputations.
- France: Cannabis seeds are legal as long as they are not used for growing. However, you will struggle to find any reputable French cannabis seed dealer.
- Spain: Spain has a similarly lenient policy as the UK. Residents can buy and sell seeds as long as they are for personal use in private areas. Shops need legal authorization to sell seeds. Alicante-based Herbie’s Seeds is a highly rated seed bank.
Types of Marijuana Seeds Available
There are three distinct types of marijuana seeds.
Regular Marijuana Seeds
These seeds come from one female and one male parent. As a result, there is a 50/50 chance that the plant will be the feminized version that carries all of those wonderful cannabinoids. As you have no control of the plant’s gender, there is a chance that you’ll waste weeks waiting for the gender to be revealed.
Feminized Marijuana Seeds
You should purchase feminized seeds instead of their regular counterparts. These seeds have no male chromosomes and are guaranteed to provide resinous bud. In other words, you don’t have to wait for a guarantee which is NOT the case with ‘regular’ seeds.
Autoflowering Marijuana Seeds
This type of seed is your best option if you want to grow your weed indoors. These seeds have genetics that evolved in northern Eurasia which means they are strong and sturdy. They are mixed with Cannabis Ruderalis, a plant known for its ability to grow in harsh weather conditions.
One of the biggest advantages of autoflowering seeds is their ability to produce a minimum of two outdoor crops. When you grow them indoors, however, you can produce four or five crops per annum. Certain strains can become mature in just ten weeks! They are heavily resistant to mold and pests and produce a much higher yield when exposed to a powerful light source.
How to Buy Cannabis Seeds Online Safely
Your safest bet is to stick to one of the reputable seedbanks outlined in this article. Look for companies that have been in the industry for a long time and have earned a significant number of positive customer reviews.
When you purchase a packet of marijuana seeds, make sure the seller explains where the seeds came from and how they were crossed or backcrossed. Don’t risk your money on seeds with no history because there’s no way of telling what you’ll end up with.
The top-rated seed banks are old hands when it comes to getting their products through customs. Some of them offer discreet shipping, which usually involves hiding the seeds in other objects. Therefore, even if a customs official opens the package, it looks like someone else.
The perfect place for seeds…
For your part, it makes sense to make a few small or medium orders. First of all, a large order could draw unwanted attention. Secondly, if one of the packages is confiscated, you won’t lose your entire order.
Finally, you could consider paying via cryptocurrency. Digital currencies such as Bitcoin leave no official record. The issue here is that the volatility of crypto means your order could become expensive in hindsight. Imagine paying in Bitcoin, only to discover that the digital currency’s value doubles in the following two weeks!
Final Thoughts on Buying Marijuana Seeds Online
As much as we would love to provide a definitive answer to the title question, we have to admit that it is complicated. You can purchase seeds within most states where growing marijuana is legal, but the issue is clouded by the fact that marijuana is federally illegal. Then there is the small matter of the nuances of state and even local law.
You should be able to purchase from seed banks in the UK and Netherlands, but make sure you do your research and find a reputable company. The last thing you want is to buy what you think are feminized seeds, only to discover that they are regular seeds capable of producing male plants!
EDITOR’S CHOICE – Homegrown CannabisCo
Homegrown CannabisCo are the masters when it comes to seeds. Offering a massive variety of cannabis seeds that are well categorized, not only does this company create a resource for superb quality options including feminized seeds, it also provides extensive growing information for those looking for some support along their journey.
Will Customs Confiscate My Cannabis Seeds?
Yes, but only if they find them! Some reputable seed banks claim that customs confiscate only 5% of their shipments. A growing number of seed banks use discreet shipping. This involves sending additional ‘gifts’ you didn’t order to conceal the seeds. You’ll receive a confiscation letter instead of the seeds if your purchase is halted at customs. However, the top-rated seed banks tend to offer a money-back guarantee if this happens.
Is It Illegal to Send Seeds in the Mail?
As cannabis is federally illegal, transporting the plant’s seeds across state lines is against the law. This is the case even if you are sending them from one adult-use state to another. However, there is little chance of getting into legal trouble. For a start, it is possible to buy them for research or collectible purposes rather than using them to grow plants.
You’re more likely to get in trouble for sending marijuana seeds from one state to another in America than sending them into the US from abroad. However, it is rare to hear of anyone getting into legal trouble for sending cannabis seeds in the mail. Usually, the worst-case scenario is that your seeds are confiscated.
Why Are Most of the Top Seed Banks International?
It is mainly due to legal issues. The world’s best seed banks are generally located in places like the Netherlands, UK, and Spain, where marijuana laws aren’t as strict as in the United States. US cannabis law means an American seed bank faces greater legal issues when sending products from one state to another than their international equivalent.
However, there are a few high-quality American seed banks, such as I Love Growing Marijuana.
Can Non-Residents Buy Seeds Online?
It is not a good idea! As marijuana is federally legal, non-residents can be deported from the United States if they have a job in a legal cannabis dispensary! Indeed, even the use of legal marijuana can result in deportation. Therefore, we would urge non-residents NOT to purchase cannabis seeds online or in a dispensary. Even if there is a relatively small chance of being caught, it isn’t worth the risk.
Is Ordering Cannabis Seeds Online Safe?
The answer is ‘yes,’ but only as long as you buy the seeds from a reputable seed bank. Apart from I Love Growing Marijuana, MSNL Seed Bank, Crop Seed Kings, and Sensi Seeds have all established a reputation for high-quality seeds. These companies provide seeds with a high germination rate and offer an excellent range of strains.